4 Things To Consider Before Hiring A Pro to Build Your Deck

deck-builder-1-web

Everyone in Saskatoon knows that our summer’s are precious…and limited. We eagerly anticipate every spring when the snow starts to melt, the first pelican is spotted at the weir and the indistinguishable smell of cow manure hits you as you drive by the University of Saskatchewan. That’s when you know spring has officially arrived in Saskatoon!

Although not all of us are ‘that guy’ who wears shorts and sandals when the temperature hits a balmy 5 degrees – we all know we have to take advantage of the weather while we have it. This includes enjoying your backyard deck. When meticulously built with design input from certified professionals, your deck provides an outdoor living and dining space perfect for entertaining on weekends or relaxing after a long day at the office.

Before you hire a Kijenga certified contractor for your deck project, here are 4 things you should consider:

Use
You need to decide what the purpose for your deck is. Is it to have a table and chairs to enjoy an outdoor meal, to have a place to relax and socialize, or both? Along with determining what the general use for your deck is, you will need to determine some other factors including: BBQ location, pool/hot tub location (if applicable), container garden locations and if you require shade.

deck-builder-4-web
Size and Placement
To determine size, you will want to take into consideration your backyard as a whole and how the deck fits into the big picture. The size of your yard can dictate placement and location of the deck. When you determine the use for your deck and consider how much space you will need for the furniture you will require, you will have a better idea of how big of a deck you will need.
If you are fortunate enough to be able to have input into the placement of the deck, you will want to consider the following:

• Accessibility to house
  • View
  • Location of sun/shade
  • Privacy
  • Wind
  • Rain/Snow

deck-builder-3-web

Design

People tend to think of decks as rectangular, however with the consultation of a certified professional you can get creative with the design to best utilize yard space and appeal of your outdoor living space. Kijenga certified professionals can help in the design process, but it is always good to have some ideas in place before meeting with them.
Considerations for designs are:

• Levels: Do you want multiple deck levels?
  • Privacy: Do you require privacy screens from nosy neighbours?
  • Shade: Are you interested in a pergola or retractable awning?
  • Lighting: Do you want deck lights or stair lights installed?
  • Gas/Power: Do you require a gas line to your BBQ installed? Do you want outdoor speakers installed?

Of course there are other important factors to consider when designing a deck such as getting permits, following City of Saskatoon guidelines and ensuring the deck is structurally sound. But that stuff isn’t the fun part so let the pro’s take care of that!

Material

There are a variety of options for what materials to use. For decking you can consider pressure treated wood, composite, PVC decking or vinyl decking. Railings are another material to consider: wood, composite, aluminum, glass, there are a variety of options. All vary in maintenance, life and cost. Your best bet is to have a conversation with a professional about what is best suited to your needs.

deck-builder-2-web

If you’re ready to enjoy your summer and outdoor space like never before, relax and let someone else do the work – invest in a deck built by a Kijenga certified contractor! Post your project for free at Kijenga.com and we will connect you with our certified contractors.

18 comments
  • Amy Winters

Thanks for pointing out that not all decks have to be rectangular. My husband and I are thinking of having a deck put in our back yard. We have quite a big space so we have some room to be creative with the design of the deck. I hadn’t thought of doing a deck with a unique shape or multiple levels, so thanks for the inspiration!

• Tiffany Locke

Your advice to consider the size of your yard to make sure the deck out want fits into the big picture is a good idea. This could also help you figure out what design would be best so that it fits with your landscape. When doing this, it might be a good idea to consult a deck installation service so you can discuss where you want to put it as well as the design to determine if it’s a good match for your home.

• Katie Wilson

I agree that you want to consider the size of a deck before you choose it. It would make sense to find someone who is qualified and experienced as well. My husband and I are looking for someone to help build a deck, so we’ll have to consider the size first.

• Gary Puntman

I like how you mentioned the importance of deciding what you are going to be using your deck for. You should consider if it will be for entertaining or eating, like you said. Those factors will determine how big it should be or any other features.

• Rosie Beckett

I am thinking about getting a deck built in my backyard so that I have a fun place to grill and eat with family and friends, so I appreciate the tips you provide in this article. You make a great point that I need to think about the location of my deck because I want it to be shaded in the summer. Also, I did not realize there are city permits needed and guidelines that you have to follow when building the deck, so I will make sure to hire a reputable professional who can make sure I am following the guidelines.

• Caden Dahl

I’m going to be redoing the deck on my home this summer. I don’t really have a design in mind yet. It would probably be best to get with a professional and go over that with them.

• David Johnson

I found this article really helpful, because I’d never considered what purpose the deck would serve other than a place to relax. It’s also important though to, like you said, see whether you need tables and chairs, a BBQ, or a pool. In my opinion, you also need to consider how you want it built and how it should look in relation to the style of your home and neighborhood, so when I need a deck I’m going to have to look for professionals who can help me with these things.

• Dean Phillips

I really like how you said that you can get creative with the design when building a deck. My father has been renovating his house so that he can raise its value and sell it for a profit. It might be a good idea for him to hire a company to install a deck and make his house more appealing.

• Katie Wilson

Thanks for these tips on how to find a good deck contractor. I agree that you want to consider where the deck will go so that it will look the best on your home. My husband and I are looking for a deck service, so we’ll have to check their qualifications first.

• Jocelyn McDonald

My husband and I want to add a deck to our home so we can spend more time outside, and your article had great tips for choosing a contractor to help us with this project. I liked how you said to consider what deck material we want, and to have a conversation with the deck professional we hire about what is best suited to our needs. Thanks; we’ll keep this in mind when building a deck on our house.

• Ashley Johnson

I liked that you said that there are many different options for deck materials that can be used. I would imagine that a professional would have a better idea of which material to use. I would be sure to hire a professional to help me select the best material to use for my deck.

• Bethel Smith

We are moving into a house with a larger backyard and would love to build a deck. I like how you mentioned that it’s important to choose a place with a lot of space and sunlight. I think that we have the perfect spot. Now we just need to find a professional to help us build it.

• Amy Winters

Thank you for pointing out that a professional deck builder can get creative with a design that could utilize yard space and appeal of outdoor living. My husband and I have been thinking about having a deck built for our house. It’s good to know that a professional could creatively utilize the space.