Kijenga’s Top 5 Kitchen Renovation Trends for 2018
Living in an 80’s oak wonderland and needing an update? Let our experts at Kijenga guide you through our top 5 kitchen trends for 2018.
1] Smart Kitchens
If you’re seriously into tech, consider getting a smart fridge for kitchen. New fridges from LG and Samsung have screens on their doors where you can download apps such as whiteboards, or recipes. The LG fridge screen can turn transparent to let you see inside without opening the doors. It also has a panoramic camera inside the fridge that you can access from your phone. Now you’ll know what you need to pick up on your way home from work in the Saskatoon rush hour. The Samsung fridge connects to your other smart home features so you can view your home cameras, doorbell and turn turn lights on and off… all from the fridge display!
Other Smart Kitchen features, which won’t cost as much include:
- Motion sensored or one-touch faucets.
- Kitchen lighting accessed from smartphone or tablet
- Coffee makers programmable from your smartphone or tablet
- Voice activated trash can
2] Practical Storage Solutions
No more piling things up! Kitchen cabinets can be custom built to include a variety of features which will optimize your storage. Some of these ideas include:
- Pull out drawers for garbage and recycling
- Spice rack pullouts
- Custom wine rack
- Custom drawer dividers
- Vertical pull outs for baking sheets
- Pot drawers
- Pulldown or pull out shelves
3] Open Shelving
Floating shelves, especially around a window, can really open up a room. There are many positive features of this trend, including:
- Inviting – guests know where your plates or glasses are without having to ask
- Cleaning – typically people use open shelving for plates and cups which are used daily so dust concerns are limited
- Light – By removing upper cabinets, the kitchen can appear brighter
- Inexpensive – This option can be a lot more cost effective than cabinets
- Test Run – Before committing, you can test run this feature by removing your cabinet doors for a few weeks
4] Appliance Styles
Stainless Steel appliances have been popular for awhile now. In 2018, matte black stainless steel is now the trendy colour choice for appliances. The sleek coloring matches a variety of kitchen styles and the softer look of black matte creates a more comfortable ambiance as kitchens become more part of the home’s living space.
Another popular feature in 2018 is smudge-proof finishes. Anyone with a child can appreciate a smudge-proof finish! Who wants to clean fridge smudges everyday? No one has time for that!
5] Island Ideas
Kitchen islands are growing larger and larger as open concept homes become the norm. The kitchen blends into the living space which allows for a larger kitchen island. Some of the other most popular trends include:
- One level island – keep it one level to utilize for many different purposes and maintain clean lines
- Pet Friendly – creating space for a pet centre, either a bed or feeding station
- Waterfall Islands – keeping a contemporary look, the countertop extends to the sides of the island.
- Two Toned – the island’s counter and cupboards do not need to match those of the main kitchen area
If you’re planning your Saskatoon kitchen renovation for 2018/2019 we encourage you to get creative with your renovation while jumping on board the hottest trends. Submit your kitchen renovation project to us at Kijenga.com and let us connect you to our certified home pros!